Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Hero's Song by Edith Pattou

Hero's Song is about a boy named Collun and his search for his missing sister. Throw in a little magic, a few secrets, and people in pursuit and you've got the whole story. Quite frankly I found it to be extremely predictable and fairly boring. However, to be fair, I believe that's largely because this book is intended for a younger age group (which I didn't realize until I bought it). But at the same time, that doesn't mean that it has to be predictable. It does have some interesting characters but as a whole it falls a little flat. What especially bothered me was how unrealistic it was (ignoring, of of course, the magical element). The challenges they had to face seemed much too easily overcome and the description in general of their trials struck me as lacking. The pain of injuries, for example, just didn't seem real (for lack of a better word). It was just really hard to believe. The best comparison I can think of is good acting versus bad acting. Collun and company's hardships were just as fake as bad acting. I don't know that I'd call it a bad book, but I wouldn't call Hero's Song particularly good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment