Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thief of Hearts by D.L. Snow

I suppose I could call this a trilogy but there's actually no reason for it to be split up (other than the usual offer-the-first-book-free-so-they-get-hooked-and-have-to-buy-the-others scheme). Basically it's just another Robin Hood spin off. Except this time around the main character is Little John. Or rather, a princess who is fleeing death and is disguised as boy who goes by the name of John. The most distinguishing feature of this story is actually the world it's built in. Snow has (apparently) written other books set in the same world that are spin offs of other well-known tales. This wouldn't be very relevant except for the fact that the stories of these characters intersect. However, I don't actually plan on reading the other stories.
All in all I thought the story was pretty solid. Some events were fairly predictable but it was so exciting that I didn't really take much notice. I think that's what really kept me interested (not to mention the cliff hangers). My problem with the story is that the author decided to include detailed sex scenes and the ever-present thoughts about wanting to have sex. That just ruined it for me. If it didn't include those it would be a perfect story for the so-called "young adult" age group. Unfortunately, it does, leaving it in the category of more adult books in which it really has no place. I simply don't think it's high-level enough in terms of characters, language, and level of thought provokation. From what I've seen review-wise, many of Snow's other books suffer from the same dilemma. But, as long as you don't mind the sex scenes (which are totally unnecessary, by the way) then give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment