Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chinese Handcuffs by Chris Crutcher

Amazon Summary: "Dillon is living with the painful memory of his brother's suicide -- and the role he played in it. To keep his mind and body occupied, he trains intensely for the Ironman triathlon. But outside of practice, his life seems to be falling apart. Then Dillon finds a confidante in Jennifer, a star high school basketball player who's hiding her own set of destructive secrets. Together, they must find the courage to confront their demons -- before it's too late."

Well. That was intense. That's my warning for you. If you can't take any kind of heavy abuse stories then don't pick it up. It's very intense. That being said, I maintain my opinion about Chris Crutcher's books as a whole; they are very good. This one is different from the others in that there's a good portion in the first half of the book that is told (more or less--he has a very distinctive style of switching points of view around whenever he wants to let you know what's going on in someone's head) from Jennifer's perspective. I haven't seen a girl play much of a role in any of Crutcher's stories so far (I guess there was a bit in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes...) so I was surprised at the role she played. He sort of gave it up after he explained what her deal was, so he didn't exactly stick with it, but it was new nonetheless. I totally forgot to mention this in some of my review of his other books but Crutcher often uses letters as a way to narrate the story. In this case, Dillon narrates a lot of what happens in letters to his dead brother Preston. I don't really know what to think about this technique. It's certainly interesting, but I don't know the purpose of it. I haven't formed much of an opinion about it either way. Anyway, on to his next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment