Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

I won't bother with much of a summary (as most of the book is about the boy Fitz growing up and learning new things) other than to say that Fitz is the illegitimate son of the crown prince and as he's growing up in the book, he faces a lot of challenges.
When I look back on the book, I'm surprised at how not-boring Hobb makes Fitz's aging process. Usually authors either skip the main character's early life, speed though it and don't do it justice, or make it extremely long and boring. The most exciting point in this book comes towards the very end but I didn't feel at all frustrated at the time it took to get there, probably because of how much care was taken to give Fitz a background and establish the other characters in depth. I believe that the main function of this book was to create a solid foundation for the rest of the story to build off of, and it was accomplished marvelously without sacrificing entertainment. I've already started the next book and it looks to be even better than the first! All I can say is that passing this trilogy up would be a terrible mistake!
Note: I might combine the next two books into one review.

No comments:

Post a Comment