Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

Emma is a scholarship student stuck at a school full of snobbish rich kids. Her miserable school life is only made worse by the fact that her roommate--the other scholarship student who is Emma's only possible ally--dislikes her. That combined with the wrath of the queen-bee Elise leaves her with just a leather-bound copy of Jane Eyre to keep her company. Little does she know what those old pages hold...
Though the book had great potential with the interesting idea of going into a book, Mont unfortunately did not do a very good job in the execution. In addition to way too much cheesy spiritual junk (not that I have anything against spiritual stuff--it's just that it was unskillfully thrown in in an attempt to explain certain events in the book), the story seemed somewhat pointless. I think Mont was so intent on using her interesting idea that she totally ignored the rest of the story. It was like two stories that did not fit were slapped together to create one. Add to that a melodramatic, cliché love story and you end up with a big mess. I'm not saying that it's totally unenjoyable, just that it is very flawed. I would absolutely love to see Mont's idea executed well (I suppose a similar idea is used in Inkheart... I'll have to re-read that one) but the story just didn't quite cut it for me, which is such a shame. Mont is planning to write two more books to follow this one, but based on the summary, the next looks like it will be a repeat of the first, just with another book. I might have been inclined to read the sequel if there had been a hint dropped about why this happened to Emma, but as it is I don't plan on reading any of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment