Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Farseer Trilogy: Books Two and Three by Robin Hobb

Again, as I have found myself doing a lot lately, I will forgo a lengthy description of the book. All that you really need to know is that it continues the story of Fitz and gets a LOT more exciting (not that the first book wasn't exciting--it just gets more exciting).
I liked both of the books very much and am pleased to say that the quality of the first book continues through the second and third. I only have a few complaints about the book. At the beginning of each chapter there is an italicized section that provides mostly information about the future (for example some of it is Fitz's writing--not prophetic, just excerpts of what he will write in the future--about what has/will happen in a certain season/year with the raiders). I eventually got irritated because it narrows down the field of things that could happen during his adventures. Along the same lines, I also disliked the epilogues for books one and two because it did the same thing. The last epilogue was the only one that was okay because it's the end of the story (ignoring the fact that there's a follow-up series. But I think that takes place 15 years later and after the epilogues take place so it really doesn't matter anyways). I also had a problem with some of the characters--the female ones actually: Kettricken, Molly, and Starling (a later character). They drove me absolutely INSANE. I felt that Molly became way too important to the story (Fitz, rather) and her character was just bland! And Kettricken: so MOODY! Starling... She was just way too OBNOXIOUS. In any case, those are pretty minor irritants and the story is still plenty good (though I do wish that there was more information about the strange city in the third book...). I was relieved to have finally finished the trilogy (only because the books are each so LONG) but I might just have to read the next series. It's too tempting to resist. Oh! And my favorite part of the entire trilogy was probably the last paragraph of chapter 40 of the third book. I was so pleased. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment