Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Fire Spirit Series: Books One and Two by Samantha Young

This series can be summed up pretty much as your average paranormal romance story, albeit more creative and featuring genies instead of werewolves and vampires. But other than that, your typical teenage paranormal romance. The main character is Ari: a senior girl in high school. Essentially, she feels alienated as the only one of her friends who doesn't know what she wants to do with her life (a big shocker considering most seniors don't know either). She's in love with her old best friend Charlie who has become a druggie because he blames himself for his brother's death. Then, lo and behold! Ari discovers that she's a genie on her 18th birthday and that a. her father isn't really her father, and b. it wasn't actually Charlie's fault that his brother died; it was an evil genie. From there the story procedes to include her mysterious uncle and her incredibly handsome (of course) protector Jai who she most certainly doesn't fall in love with due to her oh-so-totally-reasonable feelings for Charlie. And thus the story continues.
But seriously, the story is good but the execution is terrible (unless you're totally into the whole spineless-totally-useless-dependent-on-a-male-hopelessly-in-love-and-never-falling-out-of-it obnoxious Twilight girl thing. Which I'm not). My preference in books is that the story takes precedence over the romance. Especially the whole fall-in-love-at-first-sight-never-think-about-anything-but-how-sexy-he-is-even-if-you're-in-mortal-danger kind. Those kinds of books are so degrading! I mean, what girl wants to be like that? Women aren't mindless sex objects! Come on you female authors! You're failing your own kind here! It just drives me absolutely crazy. These people! And then you wonder why there's sexism. Honestly. Anyways, I also wasn't terribly fond of the numerous grammatical mistakes, misused words, and typos in general. It's possible that the author didn't have an editor (I guess you can do that now what with the whole ebook thing. I suppose that's what I get for reading one of those super cheap/free to prime members kindle books). Unfortunately this series is a waste of a good idea. I'd be totally psyched for a re-write of this book but for now I'm quitting while I'm ahead! (I don't even know why I read the second book. I suppose I thought it would get better. Plus I was curious about what was going to happen next: it was a bit of a cliff hanger). Anyways, next I'll probably go back to my goodreads recommendations. They seem to be a lot better than the Bookies thing I started following on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment