Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

The Vanishing Game is about a girl named Jocelyn and her search for her previously assumed dead twin brother. Stuck in foster care due to her insane mother, Jocelyn goes to her once-friend, from a previous foster care, Noah for help solving the clues her brother left behind. Problem is: ast time she saw him he told her he'd kill her if he ever saw her again.
Well, I finished that one quickly. I was too creeped out to go to sleep before I finished it, and I must say, it reminds me a fair bit of Going Bovine (if you've read that). Now, I don't normally go for this sort of creepy book (unless you count the Lois Duncan phase I went through) but it sounded so interesting that I just had to read it. I really enjoyed the book (the ending totally blew my mind) and it is totally worth a read, but I did have a few problems with it.
First of all: A boy and a girl CANNOT be identical twins. If they were they'd have to be the same gender. Not to mention that fraternal twins are only as related as a brother and sister. Now, I don't know if this was intentional or not because this was coming from a younger Jocelyn, but either way, it bothered me. Secondly, in my experience girls do not have Adam's Apples. Of course, I looked it up to double check and the website I looked at said that it is possible for a girl to have one, but seriously not common. However, the way that bit was written makes me think that the author didn't know that tidbit of information. Thirdly, I totally hate the way Jocelyn totally drools over Noah and, connected to that, the way Noah is all like, 'I'll handle these dangerous bits for you!' and Jocelyn is totally useless. Not to mention the way that he ends up solving so many of the puzzles. But anyways, despite all of its flaws, I'd say that The Vanishing Game is a good book, especially good for a debut novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment