Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Rain Wild Chronicles: Books One and Two by Robin Hobb

The Rain Wild Chronicles is most strongly attached to The Liveship Traders Trilogy, but is also attached to all of Hobb's other books set in the same world. They continue the story of the serpents from The Liveship Traders Trilogy and their transformation into dragons--or semi-dragons you could say. Due to their late cocooning and old age, most of the serpents dies and the ones that didn't emerged incomplete and lacking many of their memories. Unable to fly and care for themselves, they spend years at the mercy of the rain wilders, all the while suffering and dying from the poor conditions and lack of food. Eventually they decide that they must leave and search for the ancient Elderling city of Kelsingra. They manipulate the humans into sending 'keepers' and hunters for the dragons as well as a ship to lead the way. However, rather than totally focusing on the dragons, the story line mostly follows the humans who accompany them.
While I think the idea is wonderful and has lots of potential, I was disappointed to find myself getting bored. When the latest Emperor's Edge book came out I was so excited to read it that I put the first Rain Wild book on hold and read the entire Emperor's Edge book almost nonstop. It was when I returned to this series that I realized just how less exciting the series was. Compared to Hobb's other books, I thought this series was a bit of a let down. It's also possible that after reading Hobb's books for such a long time (I've been on her books for a while since I felt the need to follow up on every single loose end) I've just simply had enough. This is not to say this series is bad; I just feel like it's time to move on. At this point I don't think I'll be reading the next book, especially since the fourth isn't even out until February, so I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead. So expect my next review to be on a book from a totally new author.

No comments:

Post a Comment