Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Stotan! by Chris Crutcher

Amazon summary: "It's the last swimming season for Walker, Nortie, Lion, and Jeff, and their coach is building their self-discipline in a grueling four-hour-a-day test of stamina designed to bring them to the outer edge of their capabilities. As it turns out, Stotan Week is also the week in which secrets are revealed, and the four friends must draw upon their new strengths for an endurance they never knew they'd need."

I'm going to start out by suggesting that you read this before Ironman because I already knew some of the stuff that was going to happen since Lion is in both books. Plus I kept thinking it was Lion who was narrating instead of Walker. Stotan! struck me as a little less intense than the other books I've read by Crutcher. It's sort of all over the place--I couldn't give you a solid plot since Stotan week is done by the time you reach the halfway point in the book. That's not necessarily a problem, but I found myself liking the other books a bit better than this one. It's also possible that I didn't enjoy it as much because it was written about a generation before my time so the issues it addresses aren't quite as relevant. I mean, they are, just a little less prominent today than they were then. Nevertheless, it's still a plenty good book--just a little dated.

No comments:

Post a Comment