Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Running Loose by Chris Crutcher

Amazon Summary: "Louie Banks has it made. He's got a starting spot on the football team, good friends, and a smart, beautiful girlfriend who loves him as much as he loves her. Early in the fall, he sees all his ideas of fair play go up in smoke; by spring, what he cares about most has been destroyed. How can Louie keep going when he's lost everything?"

Hmmmm... I think this is my least favorite book of Crutcher's so far. It's probably because I decided to read them all in the order he wrote them--this being the first one. At least, the first popular one. He might've written something before it. It's still good, but it lacks the emotional depth that his other books have. I didn't feel much of anything while reading it--the part that should have made me feel something really didn't because I'd already guessed it was going to happen. It's sort of a blah book for me. My favorite part of the book was probably the last quarter. I probably would've liked the story better if the first three quarters of the book were condensed into one and the last quarter stretched to three. It's also kind of dated (as I mentioned for Stotan!). Anyway, this book really just goes to show how much an author can improve over time. He went from mediocre to brilliant. I can't wait to get to his newest book. I think the main thing that he's improved on over time is how engaging his books are--this really didn't hold my attention as well as his later books. Anyway, on to the next Crutcher book!

No comments:

Post a Comment