Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Amazon summary: "As children, Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were both social outcasts. They were also one another's only friend. So when Cameron disappears without warning, Jennifer thinks she's lost the only person who will ever understand her. Now in high school, Jennifer has been transformed. Known as Jenna, she's popular, happy, and dating, everything "Jennifer" couldn't be---but she still can't shake the memory of her long-lost friend. When Cameron suddenly reappears, they are both confronted with memories of their shared past and the drastically different paths their lives have taken."

Alrighty! I did intend to read the sequel to The Innocent Mage next and I did start it, but I got distracted. So I spent a while reading random Fictionpress stories and only got back to reading published books today. So. On to the review!

I really enjoyed the book. It is a good story and it kept my attention but there were a couple of things that I didn't like. First of all, it lacked some of the detail it needed and left me with questions. A lot of that centered around Cameron and his and Jenna's past. I really wanted to know more about Cameron; why he suddenly came back, how he coped (because honestly, he had it a lot rougher than Jenna), information about his mom and siblings, anything really. He was a vague fill in character that really remained a part of Jenna's past more than anything else. There wasn't much evidence of a change in him. It was... lacking.
The ending really bugged me. It was so inconclusive. It ended with a lot of pretty words but what happened just didn't add up with the rest of the story. There was just a lot that was skimmed over and it took away the realism of the story. It was still good, just not fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment