Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

I don't much feel like thinking up my own summary so here's the one from the back of the book: "In the distant, post-apocalyptic future, a fifteen-year-old boy stumbles on a world where humans are hunted by a mysterious Park Service and sets out to uncover who's behind the gruesome killings."

Let me start out by saying that this is not a bad book. Dystopian novels are really hit-and-miss for me. I either really love them, or absolutely hate them. This falls under the latter category.

So. You might be wondering why I even picked up this book if I was going to dislike it so much. The answer is that I just happened to see an ad for it that said something along the lines of, "similar to The Hunger Games." When I proceeded to read the synopsis that Amazon provides for items of the book-ish nature, it sounded pretty interesting. I mean, the Park Service. Doesn't that sound like some super interesting cult-ish group of ruthless killers? Alas, they were not (not that I'll spoil who they are for you). Besides, with the whole Hunger Games comparison and the mention of killings it sounded super action-packed and adventure-y! It was not that either. Instead it consisted pretty much of a lot of walking and meaningless talking. Not to mention an utter failing of romance with a supposedly-super-intelligent girl who turns out to be a total flake. Along with the main character of course. This seems to be another classic case of make-the-summary-more-interesting-than-the-actual-book. The beginning actually got my hopes up (the reason I bought it--I do read the beginnings before I purchase books). It just went downhill from there. The characters were also extremely lacking in depth. Even the main character! All in all I just really did not like the book. I most definitely will not be reading the rest of the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment